Monday, April 30, 2012

Cinnamon rolls

I have always had a strange attraction to making bread. There's something so intriguing about handling yeast and perfect timing as well as technique that keeps me coming back for more. My first (and last of 2011) attempt at bread was making a croissant of which, did not produce the fine layers and fluff that I would have liked it to have.

Maybe I have bitten off more than I could chew from that experience. Henceforth, I shall learn to master making less complicated pieces before moving onto harder challenges. Last week, I've stumbled onto a cinnamon roll recipe and decided to give it a go. After all, I looooove cinnamon and the ingredients/methods weren't overly difficult.

Success at last!! Although...I may have over-handled it a bit to the extend that it got less fluffier after a few days :S

The smell once I took it out from the oven was heavenly! I was overjoyed by the looks of it, despite it being slightly too brown on top).



It was such good fun filling my cake mould with these spiral pieces (which eventually puffed up really big!). They look so pretty together!! :D

The puffed up version~ I may have let it puffed up a bit too much :S





Cinnamon rolls

Ingredients:
1 packet of active dry yeast
1 cup of lukewarm milk
3 tbsp sugar
3 and 3/4 cups of strong flour
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup butter
2 eggs

Add yeast to lukewarm milk and allow to dissolve before mixing it with the dough mixture (sugar, flour, salt, eggs and butter). Allow to rest until it's about doubled in size before rolling it out into a flat rectangle.

For the cinnamon filling,  brush about 1/3 cup of melted butter onto the dough before sprinkling it with about 3/4 cup of brown sugar and some raisins (any amount based on your preference!). Roll the carefully and cut into 3-4cm pieces and placing them onto a baking tin/ whatever you like. Allow to double in size before placing in the oven at 200C.

No comments: