Sunday, April 14, 2019

Miss Korea Kitchen, Camberwell MELB

As the weather becomes colder during the night, I am slowly craving for hearty meals that may or may not agree with my current physical fitness goals. Whilst I try to emphasise more on fibre in my diet, I am still undoubtedly reaching out for the less healthy options.

WL and I visited Miss Korea Kitchen last night and my mind instantly reminded me to have at least one plate of fibre to which, WL funnily hesitated but obliged nonetheless. We had no trouble finding parking in Camberwell and as it was past 6pm, parking tickets are not required.

Miss Korea Kitchen has two outlets, one in Camberwell and the other in Nunawading. The Camberwell branch housed more ala carte dishes whilst the Nunawading branch was for buffet goers. I would certainly choose the latter option if I have to organize a catch up outing with friends as buffets usually offer something for everyone be it vegetarians or the voracious individual like myself.

The Camberwell outlet can comfortably house around 40 diners although I would highly recommend making bookings to avoid disappointment. As the outlet is not enormous, staff members' are quick to respond whenever diners call out to them.

Menu wise, there is certainly a lot to choose from and we had to kindly ask the waiting staff for recommendations as every item on the menu sounded very tempting.

Calamari salad - deep fried calamari with lemon chilli dressing. As I have not had a proper lunch prior to dinner, I craved for freshly prepared veggies and yes, the chef did deliver. Well dressed salad tinged with some acidity to kick start my palate. Bonus points for calamari that is deep fried to perfection.

Korean fried chicken - fried chicken is now a must have at any Korean restaurant and once again, kudos to having perfected cooked chicken that is not dripping in grease nor cooked in recycled oil.
I liked the soy garlic sauce version although I wouldn't mind the sweet and spicy version if I need to spice up my palate.

Served with a small side of salad and pickles, these accompaniments were perfect for toning down the dish's overall grease level.

Ox tongue - pan seared ox tongue with garlic, onion and Korean sesame oil. One of my favourite dishes for the night and one that I wished I had a bowl of rice to soak up all the lovely juices sitting at the base of the pan. Had the right ratio of meat to veggies, each ingredient separately prepared before being tossed together.

Chef's recommendation K Barbeque - this menu comprised of wagyu scotch fillet, wagyu chuck flap tail and wagyu cap slices, served with kimchi fried rice and vegetable ssam. I am horrible at barbecuing meat and hence, am extremely thankful that staff members did the cooking for us. Cooked over a hot plate and flamed torched, each piece of meat was well prepared and if you're in doubt whether the meat would be dry, fret not as wagyu meat has fat marbled around it, giving it that added bit of moisture.


The other half of our meat selection was flambeed for that added aroma of alcohol. Oh and did I mention that the broccoli, mushroom and onion pieces had nicely soaked up all the beef's juices as it was cooked on the same pan? Best way to soak up all the fluid. Traditionally, a piece of meat would be dotted with either chilli, soy or salt before being wrapped with lettuce prior to consumption.



Kimchi fried rice that's been left to warm up on the still hot plate. Love how this created a crisp texture at the bottom of it:)

Overall a very enjoyable meal that left us full to the brim and sadly, I did not have any space for dessert but I do endeavour to pop by again to try their soup dishes and bulgogi. P.s, our waiting staff recommended the soft tofu soup which wouldn't be a bad idea for those cold winter days.

Miss Korea Kitchen Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments: