Sunday, September 15, 2013

Shanghai red bean mooncake

Mooncake festival is just around the corner and probably the best time for me to use up my leftover red bean paste from attempting to make dorayaki some time ago. I do not own any traditional mooncake moulds nor do I have any idea how to construct the perfect mooncake with egg yoke so this was pretty much all I could experiment with for now:)

Pretty happy that the recipe did not disappoint and would gladly reattempt this on other events. Not too difficult to make, especially if ready made red bean paste is available.

Ingredients:
250g butter
150g icing
1 egg
380g plain flour
60g cornflour

Filling:
700g red bean paste

Topping:
Black and white sesame seeds
Egg wash

I put all these ingredients into the food processor to blend together. Once it is uniform in texture, I wrapped it in cling wrap and refrigerate it overnight. The very next day, I weighed out approximately 40g red bean and 50g dough portions. Place the red bean "balls" into the flattened dough and make sure its well rounded. Egg wash your red bean pastries before sprinkling some sesame seeds. Bake at 180C until well done and a nice golden brown colour is achieved.



Some of mine broke due to poor handling :S



Delicious on a chilly, spring day:)

No comments: