Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Bistro Dom, Waymouth Street ADL

With only a few days to go, it was only fair that I pay a visit to Bistro Dom. I try to steer clear from fancy restaurants as most of the time, I will be paying extra and still be left hungry after the night ends. And the fact that my pocket is on a diet, all the more reason to have budget friendly meals.

On the flipside, I can't pass up an opportunity to pamper my tummy. I had a quick glimpse at the menu prior to entering the restaurant but the sister managed to coax me into the 5 course menu. At $85 pp, it seemed like a good chance to sample a bit of everything.

Artisan bread is a must have at these type of restaurants and admittedly, I loved the rustic and aroma of my slice of bread. I can happily have it without the butter!

Unfortunately, this 5 course menu changes quite often and sadly, I do not know what's the exact name of every dish. However, I will do my best to describe them as well as I could.

This palate cleanser had hints of nori/ seaweed in it and I did enjoy the creaminess of it. Not very robust flavoured but delicate enough to be appreciated:)

Potato many ways ~ This was an interesting entree dish. I really enjoyed the crunchy potato skin layer that compasses the buttery soft potato flesh and that bit of flavoured green sauce harmonized everything on the plate. Would have liked more.

Kingfish sashimi with pickled vegetables ~ nothing excessively fancy about this dish, just let the fresh piece of fish do the talking. Was not expecting this at all.

Pulled rabbit with poached pear and dehydrated sponge cake ~ an interesting dish although I would have preferred the rabbit meat to be a bit more warmer (as it is winter and freezing cold outside). Dehydrated sponge cake lent some sweetness and crunch to the dish.

Beef with barley, kale and beetroot sauce ~ an interesting dish in my opinion. I liked how the beef was cooked medium rare and the addition of barley was a nice alternative to your typical mash or puree. The beetroot sauce was spicy at certain points around the dish and reminded me of sriracha sauce. Nonetheless, have enjoyed this dish.

Chocolate with salted caramel sauce and popping candy ~ I am not a fan of mousse or ganache so this was not one of the favourite dishes of the night for me. Chocolate creme was not overly sweet and the salted caramel added a nice punch of saltiness to the dish. A little small for my liking but if you're not a big fan of sweets, this might be sufficient for you:)

Bistro Dom on Urbanspoon

No comments: