Saturday, October 31, 2020

Jugetsu Ginza Kabukiza, Tokyo JAPAN

In August last year, I had a few days to myself in Japan to explore the city, something I have been meaning to do but never did get the opportunity. Making my way around Narita airport felt akin to walking around Melbourne CBD in terms of familiarity and soon enough, I transported myself to the heart of Tokyo, ready to check-in and explore.

Knowing that I was a bit early to check into my hotel room, I headed to Jugetsu Ginza Kabukiza which was located about 10 minutes by foot from the hotel. Unfortunately, the blazing summer heat made it unbearably hot and I appeared rather flushed upon entering the premises. 

The menu comprised of a few sweet treats in addition to a good selection of drinks to enjoy with it. After gulping down two cups of water, I proceed to order a rich matcha drink which came accompanied by a little sweet wagashi (traditional Japanese sweet) filled with red bean paste. 




Yes, there were other options to sample but being a solo traveller, I wanted to save my tummy space for other prospective treats scattered around Tokyo. My cup of matcha was certainly rich and had an almost syrup like texture; not everyone's cup of tea but was a good contrast to its sweeter companion. 

Upon finishing off the last sip, the waiter then poured some water into the matcha bowl before giving it a good whisk to evenly mix the remaining matcha into a lighter cup of tea. Ahhh the simple pleasures of life extended by another drink.



Decorated by polished bamboo branches and overlooking a small, tidy garden, the cafe itself is designed to look like an escape away from the bustling city. Would happily go back again granted the opportunity and not only sample other items on their menu, but also to purchase more tea from their shop. Tea may cost slightly more compared to those available at the markets but it's quality is undeniable. Oh they do also sell snacks which I too endeavour to try in the future. 
 

No comments: