Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Food diary: Breakfast, dinner and dessert!

Dessert first up~ Black and white chocolate cake

Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes (or until ready..I wasn't keeping watch of time though)
Difficulty: 2/5

Ingredients:
175 g butter
100 g white chocolate
100 g 70% dark chocolate
3 eggs
100 ml milk
175 g caster sugar
200 g self-raising flour
1 tsp vanilla extract

For the ganache and to decorate:
285 ml double cream
200 g 70% dark chocolate

1. Cream butter and sugar together before adding in the eggs and milk. I strained the mixture via a sieve because it was lumpy>.>
2. Divide the mixture into 2 portions.
3. Melt the chocolates in the microwave. Add the dark chocolate into one portion of the mixture and add the white chocolate mixture into the other portion. Add some vanilla extract to get a lovely vanilla scent:)
4. Bake until ready at 150C and allow to cool on a cake rack.
5. Heat up the double cream and pour it over the chopped dark chocolate pieces. Allow to stand for 4 minutes before mixing it. Cool the mixture in the fridge for a few minutes.
6. Add a medium sized layer of the mixture between the cakes and use the extra as the ganache. Dust with icing sugar if necessary.

Tadaaa:DD My white cake layer broke but I was able to "stick" everything back together with the chocolate ganache. It worked wonders! I doubt anybody could tell that it was broken previously;)

For the dark chocolate lovers~ Now you can have cake!:D

My dinner for the past few weeks was either too heavy or too light. Moderation is key so remember to follow a healthy dinner selection filled with veges, fruits and protein:)

Proscuitto layers to enclose the cooked beef~

Beef wellington enclosed by mushroom paste, proscuitto and puff pastry~ definitely something hard to make but I guess practice makes perfect, right? Recipe was adapted from Gordon Ramsay.


Slow cooked pork belly~ super sinful:S

Tofu with black bean sauce~ not bad although would prefer having more tofu chunks


Here are some pictures of my brunch for the past week. I would recommend not following my diet because what works for me may not work for someone else so proper consultation with dietitians is ideal.

I realized that most of the guide dogs' tails are quite straightO.o

Weetbix with milk and strawberry slices~ sooo yummy and refreshing;)

Bread top chocolate cake from myshoppingkaki:))

Digestive biscuits to munch on~

A proper breakfast~ bacon rashes, toasted bread, baked beans and poached eggs from Farmer's market:) Not bad although the one at East Terrace Continential still tops my list:)

4 more days until placement *screams* I'm soooo nervous:(

No comments: