Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Rose of Thailand, Glen Waverley, MELB

Cold winter nights calls for comfort food in the form of spices with a tinge of heat. In other words, my subconscious is desperately begging for Thai and I was more than happy to oblige with a trip around the block.

This place is usually packed on the weekends so be sure to reserve a table beforehand. On the other hand, not as packed on the weekdays and in terms of service, a lot more better when it's not as packed. Staff were extremely busy hustling around the restaurant when I appeared on Saturday but when I rocked up on Tuesday night, they were a lot more relaxed and even had the time to run through the menu with me.

For starters, we were given a basket of crackers, complimentary on the house.

Tom yum soup with seafood ~ I am familiar with the fire-y red tom yum soup and so, was initially confused when this arrived on my table. However, contrary to the spicy red one I usually have, this one had a much more subtle tone to it and was replaced by a stronger punch of sourness. Not unbearable but rather, prepares my palate for the next few dishes.

Yum seafood salad ~ Covered with an assortment of seafood and generous amounts of herbs, onions and garlic, this may not be a date qualified dish. Although it does test your date's tolerance haha. It was a refreshing dish that is well-dressed with a mildly spicy chilli dressing.

Thai milk tea ~ in case you are wondering, no, it is not highly caffeinated so do feel free to order one!

Pad kee mao ~ I am obsessed with the Thai version of drunken noodles and found this dish satisfying. The noodles had a nice charred flavour to it and each stand was neither too dry or soggy.

Kao Pud aka fried rice ~

Green curry ~ if you are not a fan of red chillies, perhaps give this green curry a try. It has a creamy texture which goes well with the plate of fried rice that we ordered. Generous amounts of chicken pieces in it too!

On a separate day, I visited this place for desserts. Firstly, I found that prices of alcohol here is a lot more affordable than most places albeit the smaller variety available. Secondly, their desserts are mostly made in house except for the ice cream that is sourced straight from the motherland. I liked their Thai custard cake served with coconut ice cream. Not too sweet and would be a light finish to a meal.

I have also tried their sticky rice with mango ice cream which sadly, does not have fresh mango pieces due to it being unavailable this season. The ice cream is fantastic. I would happily finish off the entire tub myself haha. Had also tried their taro pearls which reminded me of bubur cha cha, a thick coconut cream type of sweet soup. It's not sickeningly sweet if you're wondering but definitely something different if you have not tried it before.

Rose of Thailand on Urbanspoon

No comments: