Thursday, February 21, 2013

Regent Thai

Thai food strangely reminds me of Malaysian food, especially when identical spices are utilized in the dishes. Having said that, there are still so many culinary areas to explore as each region boasts about their own signature meal which many differ from other regions in Thailand.

I may not be able to recall every single detail about my Thailand trip back when I was little, but I sure do know where can you go to satisfy your inner Thai cravings. If you're looking for authentic and unpretentious Thai food, pop by Regent Thai on O'Connell Street! I have been here since 2008 and always look forward to dropping by whenever I am in the mood for a pinch of spice, acid and maybe a herb-y affair?

Regent Fried Rice~ This is a must have on my list when I do visit. I love the wonderfully cooked rice which encompasses a nice range of aromatics to keep it interesting! If you prefer your fried rice to be chilli hot or mild and subtle, do let the waitress know as they can accommodate your palate.

Talay Tom Yum Heang (hot and sour seafood) ~ we were feeling adventurous that day and decided to order a dish that was recommended by the waitress. Seafood was fresh and overall,I didn't find it to be extremely sour. Well balanced flavours, tick!


Mussaman chicken~ absolutely delicious and best eaten with rice as rice grains can absorb all the lovely curry gravy better. The chicken pieces were very tender and exhibited a melt-in-your-mouth texture. If you love curries, do try this out!

Prawn fritters with mango~ apologies if name is incorrect. It was on the specials menu and me being the blur dodo bird, I take no notice of the dish name but rather, the dish's description. Crunchy prawn fritters paired with fresh mango and herb trimmings sets the tone to this classic-turned-modern dish. It is a tad more expensive than the other dishes but it did not leave me disappointed at all:)

Sticky rice with mango ~ I love this dessert albeit the initial thought of it as a savoury dish. The rice was not overly sticky or sweet and hence,  complemented the mango and coconut cream nicely.

Coconut ice cream~ definitely a different approach to ice cream. I never had coconut flavoured ice cream before and I thought this one is quite subtle and probably a nice way to end the entire dining experience.

Good service, excellent food and affordable prices. Why wait?:)

  Regent Thai on Urbanspoon

No comments: