Tuesday, April 29, 2014

1918 Bistro & Grill Restaurant Tanunda

Living in the Barossa has its perks. Aside from the friendly community and pretty season transition colours, Barossa valley is also notoriously known for its food and wine. Over the last few years, the Barossa had certainly seen many types of restaurants flourish and this had attracted tourists to the valley which then further propels this economical cycle.

I have been to 1918 Bistro and Grill once in the past for a special occasion and once again, popped over for dinner on a last minute note but thankfully, the waiting staff were able to accommodate us. We started off with freshly baked bread with parmesan infused olive oil and olives. The bread was fluffy and still fresh despite us having it late at night and dipping it into the olive oil was a treat.



Beef carpaccio with pickled radish, capers, crispy onion rings, mustard aioli and cornichons ~ All the fuss about carpaccio dishes have certainly caught our attention and so, we could not pass the opportunity to try these slices of meat for the first time. I found it very refreshing and there is a good balance of acidity from the pickles that marry well with the mild aioli taste. Lots of crunch happening on the plate and overall, it was a superb entree to start us off.

Parsnip soup with pancetta crumbs ~ I very rarely order soup at a restaurant but how could I not when it's an uncommon type of soup? The soup was creamy, rich and very flavoursome; pancetta crumbs gave it a good kick of salt and texture. Very nice and portion wise, it was big enough for me:)

Since I am being adventurous that night, why not add a bottle of pear cider to my menu? Slightly alcoholic but has a nice sweetness to it.

Seafood bouillabaisse ~ I always shy away from ordering seafood at any restaurants, purely because I am wry that the portion size would disappoint. 1918 proved me wrong by utilizing fresh mussels, prawns, scallops and squid in their seafood stock and topped everything well with a good bundle of salad and a side of grilled bread. I absolutely loved this creation not only for the generousity in portion but also the wonderful flavours in every little morsel. A must try although it may be a once-off kind of weekly/ daily special.

Roasted baby potatoes with rosemary and garlic ~ I like a bit of potatoes with my meals, especially potato pieces that have a crisp outer layer and a fluffy interior. Very nice.

Baby cos salad with pancetta, boiled egg and anchovy dressing ~ this reminded me of a traditional Caesar salad but somewhat more refined. Generous shaving of parmesan cheese atop a bed of fresh cos salad leaves, crispy pancetta and crumbled egg pieces. If only I could have this every day.

Roasted pork belly with caramelized onion, white pudding, apple and cabbage salad ~ The pork belly had a crispy skin attached and a very moist meat layer that oozes with juice when sliced into. The caramelized onion goes perfectly well with the pork flesh and having a side of well dressed salad was a bonus. Loved this dish and as you can see, generous portions wins hands down.

Overall, I was pretty pleased with my dining experience here last weekend. Friendly and professional service backed by delicious food prepared by the kitchen staff. Would be happy to drop by again:)

No comments: