Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Malaysian hokkien mee recipe

I am making a conscious effort to cook more Malaysian dishes these days. My parents definitely spoilt us rotten to the point where we could hardly fend for ourselves if we were thrown out on the streets. They were aware of that fact and so, sent us to Australia to "grow" up.

Initially, I was excited at the fact that I have the freedom to do anything I wanted to do (although I do restrict myself and avoided certain social activities because it did not tickle my fancy). But soon enough, I begun to realize how tedious house chores can be. I dread cleaning the bathroom and garden, something my parents were both good at and so, did not warrant the need for me to know how to do these chores.

Aside from the cleaning, one thing I missed was Malaysian food. Sure you can get cheat versions aka packet sauces or instant noodles but there are just some things you cannot recreate at all. I have friends that can cook but doubt they will let me bug them at random times of the week. And so, the Malaysian home experimentation begins.

This is a very easy dish to follow (to the point where I am extremely impressed considering how little preparation time is needed). Could not find those fat hokkien mee noodles and settled for the generic versions.

Ingredients (serves 5 people):
2kg hokkien mee
400g pork loin, sliced evenly
1/4 cabbage, chopped
1kg prawn or marinara mix (the latter is more cost effective)
3 tbsp oyster sauce
6 tbsp light soy sauce
8 tbsp dark caramel sauce
2.5 cups chicken/fish stock/ water
salt and pepper to taste
6 cloves of garlic

1. Marinate the pork with oyster sauce, 1 tbsp of sesame oil, a dash of soy sauce and pepper, preferrably overnight.
2. Place noodles in a bowl and pour boiling hot water over. Rinse to remove excess starch.
3. Fry pork and seafood mix separately, dish and put aside.
4. Fry garlic until fragrant then add the chopped cabbage and stock/water. Allow to simmer gently for 3 minutes.
5. Toss in your cooked pork and seafood mix before adding in the noodles.
6. Mix soy sauce, caramel sauce and oyster sauce in a bowl and spread evenly on noodles. Keep tasting to achieve desired balance.
7. Allow gravy to reduce whilst stirring every 1 minute before dishing out.

Serve immediately.






No comments: