Monday, January 5, 2015

Newton Circus, Box Hill MELB

I can still vividly recall rocking up here semi dazed from the scorching hot weather and plonking myself at a table right underneath the aircon. A staff member was considerate enough to bring us some water to cool down and as soon as we settled ourselves down, we jumped right into the ordering bit. The menu consisted of a few traditional favourites in each category and the dessert menu changes on a daily basis so you won't know what you're getting until you get there;)

Chicken nyonya laksa ~ this shrimp and coconut broth was very satisfying despite it being a 40C day outside. The bowl of noodles also consisted of the typical ingredients that one would normally see; bean sprouts, tofu puff, fish cake and shredded chicken meat. A must try if you love spicy food:)

Singapore Hokkien prawn noodle~ surprisingly, this rather simple dish was much more enjoyable than I thought it would be. After having a few spoonfuls of the robust flavoured nyonya laksa, I assumed that this might be a little too bland and was I wrong. The noodles were "wet" so I could assume that they have been prepared in broth to soften them up. However, this was not a soggy dish and if you feel the need for a little more kick, feel free to mix it with some of the chilli paste provided.

Bu bur cha cha ~ something I have not had for a long time. For those unfamiliar with this, it is prepared from boiling an assortment of tubers (sweet potatoes, yams etc) and sago before a certain amount of coconut milk is incorporated into it. Not everyone's cup of tea but certainly something I grew up with so this was indeed a pleasant reminder of my past.

Newton Circus on Urbanspoon

No comments: