Friday, September 14, 2012

Ginger creme brulee tart

I think I have finally overcome my fear of making tart casings. After watching ALL the Masterchef episodes, I have decided to try blitzing my pastry ingredients in a food processor. And so, on that very morning, I took a refrigerated block of butter, chopped it up into cubes and added it to my flour mixture. I then "processed" them and it worked brilliantly:) No uneven-ness at all!

So anyway, back to the spiced custard. I've obtained the recipe from here and after baking these that day, I am fully convinced that I need to get myself THE bourke street bakery recipe book (once I save up for it!).

I did not use their tart casing recipe (as I did not have any vinegar around). I used a random tart casing recipe and it turned out very nice although I didn't really have proper tart tins to bake.

I'm ebay-ing all these items as we speak lol.

Ginger creme bruleetart filling recipe:
360mL whipping cream
5cm ginger
1 cardamon pod
1 cinnamon stick
5 egg yolks
40g caster sugar

Whisk the cream slightly and bring to a gentle boil before tossing in your spices and allowing it to "marinate" overnight. Feel free to adjust the quantity of spices to your liking (I've used more as I wanted that really nice kick of flavours hehe).

On the following day, whisk egg yolks with sugar until sugar's dissolved. Simmer the cream over medium heat and remove to cool. Combine the egg mixture and cream in a bowl over boiling water and continue to stir until it thickens. By then, you can remove it from the heat and allow it to cool but do keep stirring it continuously for better cooling.

Put mixture into tart casings and refridgerate for a few hours. Top it off with some sugar (I've used demerara sugar because I rarely used them) and blowtorch/ heat until nicely caramelized.




The amount of spices I have used. Could have done with more cinnamon though:/










Yummmyyyyyyy! Can't wait to share these little masterpieces hehe:)

No comments: