Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Mrs.Ng SK's butter cake recipe

Butter cakes are one of the first few cakes that I have learnt to bake as a child during school holidays. Because I lacked any baking skills/ knowledge, I followed every recipe to the tee despite it not making much sense.

Upon having the freedom to bake whatever I wanted, I started to learn new techniques and recipes and so, have not baked a butter cake for some time now. Mum had her favourite recipe hidden next to the house telephone and it was one that I can easily recall from memory. Can't do that anymore and so, searched for reliable recipes online and managed to find one that I liked:)

Ingredients:
230g unsalted butter
4 egg yolks
150g caster sugar
200g self raising flour
60ml milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 egg whites
50g caster sugar

1. Whisk butter and sugar until it achieves a pale yellow colour and has a creamy consistency.
2. Add egg yolks and vanilla extract, continue to whisk.
3. Meanwhile, whisk egg whites until soft peaks form before gradually adding the caster sugar until stiff peaks form.
4. Fold the egg yolk mix into the egg white mix and bake for 40 minutes at 160C or until done.



Best enjoyed warm. I like to serve a thick slice of it with a good cup of tea. Fluffier than a pound cake and still has a decadent aroma of butter infused into it. Feel free to reduce the amount of sugar by 10g if its too sweet to your liking.

No comments: