Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Katsudon recipe

Aside from making teriyaki chicken and Okonomiyaki , I have decided to push the boundaries by making katsudon aka pork cutlets with rice. I have only made it once previously and I did not think looked exactly as what I hoped for :S

With prior experience to back up this home experiment, I decided to give it another go and see what happens. Thankfully, it turned out much better and the next time I make it, I have my fingers and toes crossed that it will be close to perfect :)

Ingredients (serves 4 people):
1/2 tsp dashi powder, dissolved in 500ml water
1/2 white onion, sliced thinly
4 eggs
4 tbsp mirin
2 tbsp sake
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp sugar

Pork cutlets:
4 pieces of pork cutlets
2 eggs
3/4 cup plain flour
2/3 cup panko
Salt and pepper to taste

1. Season pork cutlets with salt and pepper before coating them in egg wash, followed by coating them with flour. Dip the cutlets again in the egg mixture and lastly, the panko crumbs.
2. Heat a pan with oil and place cutlets in the pan. Fry until they are golden brown and cooked all the way through.
3. Slice them neatly (this will come handy).
4. For dashi stock, make sure the granules are dissolved in water before adding mirin, sake, soy sauce and sugar. Pour into a pan and add onion slices in. Allow to simmer until onions softens slights which takes about 4 minutes at medium heat.
5. Place sliced katsu (pork cutlets) in the broth mixture in an arranged fashion, imagining the cut off lines for serving. I basically divided the pan into 4 sections and placed them appropriately.
6. Pour beaten egg mixture in and allow to cook for about 3 minutes, depending on the pan's temperature and width. We are looking for a slightly runny but cooked egg consistency.
7. Place rice in bowl and top with a section of the cooked egg katsu section.

Serve warm.






I find that it's personal timing to determine how the egg mixture to be cooked. I am not an expert at this but this is from my personal observation, hopefully it's helpful:)



No comments: