Friday, May 10, 2013

Dorayaki recipe

Dorayaki refers to a Japanese pancake with red bean filling and it is one of the ever-popular cartoon character, Doraemon's favourite snack. I often ponder on why was Doraemon so addicted to it and last weekend, I discovered the answer.

The pancake mixture is not too runny and once it sits on a hot pan, the added honey begins to brown, of which, gives the overall pancake a nice, browned appearance. It was a bit difficult to control how much tanning the pancake received but I got the hang of it towards the end (when I was running out of batter!).

I've got this easy recipe from Just one cookbook and I find that this is quite a reliable website for Japanese recipes.

Ingredients:
4 eggs
140g sugar
2 tbsp honey
160g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp water
A packet of red bean paste for spreading

Mix the eggs, sugar and honey together in a bowl until it is well-combined. Sift in the flour and baking powder before placing the bowl in the fridge for 15 minutes. Incorporate 2 tbsps of water to the mixture, to loosen it, do not add this if it is already runny.

Heat a pan with oil and scoop a ladle of batter into the pan. Flip the pancake once it is beginning to brown and when it is done, spread some red bean paste and sandwich it together!


My red bean paste wasn't as intense flavoured as I would like it to be...will experiment with other brands the next time I am in Chinatown. I can't seem to find a good recipe to make this myself, unfortunately :/



Bon appetit!

No comments: