Friday, December 7, 2012

Japanese cheesecake recipe

The last time I attempted to make this cheesecake, the cake slowly collapsed shortly after the oven was turned off. It was disheartening to see that happen and it must have discouraged me from ever making it again, only because it is difficult to disguise an unappealing sights easily.

I have bought myself a tub of cream cheese as I was initially planning on making a carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. After much procrastination and distraction down the track, I didn't feel like baking a carrot cake anymore and did not know what to do with the cream cheese. Coincidentally, I came across this Japanese cheesecake recipe from here and thought why not?

This time round, I was fortunate to produce good results although I did find it in need of a tad more sugar. But then again, adding less sugar means it should be a healthy piece of cake, right?;)

Recipe:
140g caster sugar
6 eggs separated
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
50g butter
250g cream cheese
100ml fresh milk
60g plain flour
20g cornflour
1/4 tsp salt

Place butter, cream cheese and milk in a double boiler until everything well mixed. Meanwhile, whisk egg whites and tartar until foam is produced. Gradually add sugar to egg white mixture and keep whisking until stiff peak forms. Make sure you are constantly keeping an eye on the cream cheese mixture. Once the cheese mixture looks uniform, remove from heat and allow to cool.

Place egg yolks, flour and salt in a bowl and mix well before mixing in the cooled cheese mixture. Slowly fold the whisked egg whites into the cheese mixture. Ensure that your cake tin is sufficiently layered with baking paper before placing cake mixture in. Place a tray filled with water in the oven and place your cake tin in the preheated oven at 160C for 1 hour and 10 minutes. After that, leave oven door ajar for about 1 hour before cutting into it. Best consumed on the following day. True story!!


I beat my egg whites by hand because I don't know how to control the machine's speed.

I have issues with using baking paper. It creates creases in my cake!

But I managed to fix the disastrous shaped cake by trimming off the edges and voila, looks 10x better now!




And a few foodagraphy pictures to end the post!!

3 comments:

Chinese restaurant Brisbane said...

Nice directions and good recipe! It looks nice on the photos too. :)

Michelle said...

Naww thank you:)) Got the recipe from a really awesome blogger and its definitely worthwhile trying it out hehe^^

Chinese restaurant Brisbane said...

You 're welcome! I will check your other posts too see if there are more interesting things related to food like this recipe. :)