Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Caramelized balsamic onion jam recipe

So..here's a continuation of yesterday's easy-to-make crowd pleasers but this time, with a savoury twist to it. I am not a huge fan of preparing savoury dishes as I'm not good in it (my sense of taste is just too quirky). I have, however, been meaning to have a handful of savoury finger food recipes, just in case I have to attend a potluck party.

Ingredients:
1 tbsp olive oil
4 cups onions, roughly chopped
1/4 cup water
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp thyme
salt and pepper to taste

Cook the onions in the olive oil until it appears translucent, approximately 10 minutes on a medium heat. Once it appears to have slightly browned, add your water and continue to simmer until it softens, which takes another 8-12 minutes. Proceed to add the balsamic vinegar, sugar, thyme and seasoning. Allow to simmer for another 7 minutes. Remember to taste as it can make a huge difference. I have added another 2 more tbsps of vinegar as I liked mine to have a robust acidic taste to it (but it depends on what you feel like!).

I have cooled mine in the fridge overnight and the very next day, blizted it in a food processor so that it will be more spreadable.

Added them to some mine tartlet shells and topped with a dollop of cream cheese before baking it in the oven at 150C for 10 minutes.

No comments: