Thursday, October 13, 2016

Babka Bakery Cafe, Fitzroy MELB

My fondest memories come from the aroma of baked goodies that have pop out of the oven. Strangely enough, the scent intoxicates me and often stirs up hunger in me even when I don't have the appetite for it.

Which subsequently, led me here after a pastry enthusiast friend of mine posted drool-worthy pictures on instagram. Breakfast menu includes the usual omelette, toastie, poached egg, ham and bacon dishes but what really drew me in was the sight of trays after trays of bread lined up behind the counter.

Bread and butter - something I wish I could wake up to every morning.



Croissant served with jam - the croissant may not have an earth shattering crispiness to it but it was sure packed with good quality butter that oozes slightly when the layers are pressed against each other. At $3 for takeaway, I can see myself swinging by constantly if only I lived nearer. Jam is house made and I found them not overly sweet which allowed the fruity flavours to take the limelight.

Lemon tart - this is THE best lemon tart I have tasted thus far. Smooth, creamy and zesty. Acidity was well balanced with the addition of sugar and I love how the tart shell's thickness is to my liking. Generous slice it was and one that I would recommend.

Mushroom and beef pie - the filling was a little bland for me but what I loved about this pie was the flaky pastry that again, has the perfect thickness, allowing it to soak up some of the filling's juices whilst still remaining crisp on the outside.

This place has some seriously good pastry or bread making skills - one bite is not enough.

Babka Bakery Café Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments: