Friday, July 17, 2015

Granola recipe

I have discovered the wonders of oats as a teen and had never looked back since. Not only are they a good source of fiber but also, there are claims that consuming oats helps reduce bad cholesterol in the body. Have not tested out that second statement although my main reason for including oats in my diet is for its versatility.

I have made overnight oats before (as seen here) and decided to try making granola this time. I actually prefer having granola - it has an unique scent that is really dependent on what type of ingredients you combine your oats with.

Ingredients:
3 cups of rolled oats
1 cup of cashew nuts and almonds, chopped roughly
1/2 cup of honey
1/3 cup of olive oil
1 tbsp cinnamon
1/2 cup of cranberries

1. Mix everything, except for the cranberries in a clean bowl.
2. Evenly lay mixture on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
3. Bake in oven for about 20 minutes at 150C. Add cranberries after 20 minutes (adding them too soon will result in crispy fruit which we don't want).
4. Bake for an additional 10 minutes. Do ensure that you use a spoon to swirl the oats around every 10 minutes for even baking.
5. Store in airtight container once cooled.

I've paired the granola with some chopped fruit and a dollop of Greek yoghurt. Feel free to add shredded coconut, pecans, apple crisps or raisins to the mixture - the sky's the limit.



Figured I should end this post with a picture of my current pair of running shoes that are keeping me on my toes at the gym. These pair of Nike shoes are very light and slightly breathable. Also included in this picture is a pair of my all time favourite walking Adidas shoes. Always in style, I reckon;)

No comments: