I am nowhere near as adventurous when it comes to savoury food as opposed to making edible sweets. Rather, I tend to stick to simple, fool-proof recipes that won't make me cringe as I eat my way through it for the rest of the week.
This is a recipe that I have been meaning to attempt for the longest time but procrastinated, mainly due to the fact that I am not sure how it will turn out. Plus point is that it worked fine. Only downside is that prawns are not exactly a cheap ingredient. Be sure to keep track of prices prior to conjuring up this dish!
4 chicken carcasses - depending on how much stock you want
Enough water to cover the chicken carcasses
1kg tiger/ large-sized prawns
1. Bring chicken carcasses and water to a boil. Allow to simmer (this helps construct the soup's flavour profile). May take at least 1 hour. Season with salt and sugar.
2. De-shell and de-vein the prawns. Fry prawn shells in about 6 tbsp of oil until you get a vibrant orange colour in the oil. Press on the shells to extract more flavour.
3. Once soup is ready, add prawn shells and oil. Give it a good stir and allow to simmer for an extra 30 minutes.
4. Blanch chicken meat and prawns in soup until cooked. Set aside.
Shredded chicken meat
Thin rice noodles
1. Soak rice noodles in hot water until it softens before cooking them in the soup.
2. Serve in a bowl, garnish with shredded chicken, prawns and chopped chives.
3. Thinly slice chilli and serve as a dipping sauce with soy sauce.