Saturday, July 8, 2017

Sweet and sour pork meatballs recipe

As much as I like having a meal outside, I find that cooking at home has it's own strangely satisfying pleasures added with the fact that I can control my calorie intake for the day. Not one to rest on my laurels with simple recipes, I decided maybe, just maybe, I should learn to appreciate quick and easy meals more for the sake of convenience (and my sister's sanity).

A popular item in every Chinese restaurant, this is a very easy dish to recreate and one can easily adjust the amount of veggies to your liking. I have used Rasa Malaysia's recipe for this and made slight modifications to the amount of sauce ingredients I have used:p

Ingredients:
500g minced lean pork
1/2 tsp five spice powder
Knob of ginger and some garlic, minced
Salt and pepper to taste

1. Marinate minced pork with the above ingredients and set aside until ready to cook (don't leave it for too long tho!).
2. Shape into round shapes and pan fry them. I find this version a lot healthier compared to deep frying the meat. Adjust amount of garlic and ginger to your liking, there is no right or wrong way of doing this.

Sweet and sour sauce:
60g tomato sauce
1 tsp white vinegar
40g sweet chilli sauce
1 tsp oyster sauce
1/2 cup chicken stock
Sugar and salt to taste

1. Cube/ slice capsicum, pineapples, onion, tomatoes and other veggies that you like and pan fry them for about 5 minutes until the veggies appear to be slightly softened/ blistered from the heat.
2. Mix all the sauce ingredients together and allow to simmer in a pan until it appears to be slightly thickened.
3. Mix 1/4 tsp of corn flour to 1/4 cup of water and add to sauce to thicken it.
4. Add cooked pork meatballs into the sauce and stir until meatballs have been evenly coated by the sauce.
5. Serve with steamed rice.



No comments: