Thursday, July 19, 2012

Upside down banana cake

Of recently, I am in a cake mood and I can't seem to stop experimenting with different types of cake-baking techniques, especially when it comes to baking without the traditional ingredients (eggs, flour etc) and substituting these ingredients for less familiar products like golden syrup, cream, dessicated coconut and so on. I rarely bake cakes with a lot of ingredients incorporated into it but for the sake of trying, I'm all up:)

I've got this recipe here from David Lebovitz. Superbly easy to make and delicious despite me tweaking the recipe a lil bit;)

Cake:
210g self raising flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
150g caster sugar
30g melted butter
2 eggs
250g banana puree
120g sour cream
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
80g dark chocolate bits

Topping:
60g brown sugar
2 tbsp butter
4 ripe bananas
A sprinkle of lemon juice

I basically mixed all the wet ingredients (eggs, butter, sugar, puree and cream) together before incorporating it into the dry mixture (flour, cinnamon, chocolate and salt). For the topping, I melted the butter and mixed it into the brown sugar before creating a thin sugar layer on the bottom of my baking pan. I then place banana slices on it, with a sprinkle of lemon juice. Into the oven at 160C until its cooked and voila! I can eat cake now:D


Here are some teaser photos from my honey lemon cake. After leaving it overnight, the syrup was thoroughly absorbed into the cake. Delicious:D


And here are my banana cake pictures!

Sugar layer

Banana slicing in process. I couldn't stop myself from nibbling away. I love bananas!:) Managed to get them for 0.85/kg from Woolworths! If I had more bananas, I would love to caramelize and serve them with pancakes or maybe make a traditional banana cake? Or how about a Malaysian classic, cekodok (fried banana balls) or banana fritters? We shall see, won't we?:)



My banana layer! Looks promising, right?:)


Puree and sour cream being mixed together~

Before heading into the oven!

*crosses fingers that it won't stick to the sides or fall apart*

Impressive!

Banana thoroughly cooked and embedded nicely into the cake




The verdict? A must try and I won't mind making this again;)

No comments: