Sunday, June 8, 2014

Anzac cookies recipe

Anzac day was approximately 7 weeks ago and boy, was I stuffing my face with Anzac cookies at work, courtesy of a fellow colleague. Previous attempts at making my own batch of cookies were ermm..let's just say a little excessively crunchy and chunky shall we. Big disappointment as it was difficult to down and I had to throw some away because it becomes more sold as the days pass.

And so, I have avoided baking Anzac cookies for fear of rejection. Yes, I do get upset when whatever I try to cook/bake is not of acceptable standards. Fast forward time, I have a bottle of golden syrup sitting in the fridge to which, I have no idea what to do with it. Tried googling up for recipes but nothing appealing appeared. Alas, I succumbed to having another trial at baking these cookies but this time, I was wise enough to obtain the recipe from a reliable source.

Ingredients:
90g rolled oats
150g plain flour
220g brown sugar
40g dessicated coconut
125g butter
2 tbsp golden syrup
1 tbsp water
1/2 tsp bicarbonate soda

1. Mix oats, flour, brown sugar and dessicated coconut together in a clean mixing bowl.
2. Place butter, golden syrup and water in a saucepan over low heat, allow butter to melt. Once the butter and syrup appears to be combined well in the saucepan, add your bicarbonate soda and quickly stir. Turn off the flame.
3. Pour 3/4 of the warm mixture to 3/4 of the oat mixture and quickly stir for even distribution. Add the remainder 1/4 of the slightly cooled mixture to 1/4 of the oat mixture.
4. Shape the 3/4 warm mixture into ball like shapes and place a really thin layer of the 1/4 cooled mixture around it. Flatten slightly.
5. Place them about 4cm apart and bake at 160C for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool.

*I find that in the warm mixture, the oats tend to be cooked, creating that chewy, gooey consistency whilst in the cooled mixture, the oats are not as cooked and so, take on a crispier texture.




No comments: