Thursday, June 5, 2014

The smoothie edition: recipes and a true story

I have toyed with the idea of fruit and vege smoothies ever since my dad first introduced this concept to me during my short visit back in Malaysia. The sister and I howled at how odd and "interesting" these smoothies will/ can taste like and so, we can safely assume that I have put that thought aside.

Fast forward a few months later, I begun to notice that I needed a healthier diet plan which incorporates the various vitamins available from veges and fruits. Sure I do have a few slices of fruit or nibble away at cucumbers but somehow, I felt that this was insufficient. I was then motivated to reflect on my dad's smoothies and decided to give it a go.

And so, I have tried a few fruit and vege combinations to which, I can now say have changed my life completely. Not only do I feel healthier but I also noticed visible physical changes such as healthier nails and improvements in my complexion. After gulping down a large cup of smoothie, I do not get hungry easily and so, was able to have better control over my diet. No sugar added to all of these concoctions which made them a really healthy alternative.

Needless to say, I begun with products that are in season for price reasons. A whole celery could last me for a week and the same can be said about a bag of carrots. I have also purchased two bags of frozen fruit because it was a lot more affordable compared to the fresh versions and have felt no difference whatsoever with them. However, I would encourage getting a good brand for these frozen products as it will last much longer. Without further ado, here is a mini compilation of the combinations that I have came up with. Feel free to mix and match based on your preference!


Red smoothie:
1 tomato
1 carrot
A handful of frozen raspberries

Blend everything together until it looks almost smooth. Be careful with overblending.




Green monster smoothie:
1 stalk of celery
A handful of baby spinach
1 carrot
1 banana

This was probably my least favourite combination because it was a little too green for my liking. Nonetheless, you may add honey if you wanted to (I just didn't have any!).



Chunky smoothie:
1 banana
1 apple
1 carrot
1 stalk of celery

This is by far one of my favourite mix so far. Not too sweet, has a bit of crunch to it and ingredients wise, easily available in most seasons.




Sweet orange smoothie:
A handful of frozen or fresh mango pieces
1 carrot
1 banana

I loved the colour intensity of this one but if possible, I would like to try adding more veges in it. Still in the experimenting process but tasty nonetheless.

Hopefully I have inspired most of you to give this idea a try if you are not doing so yourself already. You can add yoghurt, milk or spices to it based on your preference. I will blog about more experiments next time so stay tuned

No comments: