Thursday, August 9, 2012

Lemon slice

When life gives you lemons...a good reason to showcase an array of lemon-y delights, ranging from sweet to savoury or perhaps just an old-fashioned lemonade drink?;)

I have attempted to bake a lemon slice once upon a time but sadly, it didn't turn out quite right so I decided to stay away from unfamiliar grounds since then. But as mentioned above, it seems to be raining lemons lately..people kept giving them to me for some reason...is there a hidden meaning behind these innocent lil yellow objects??!! Har har..

I got this recipe from David Lebovitz and despite being sceptical about using using a whole lemon (yes, the whole thing in all it's glory), I closed my eyes and followed the recipe precisely, I have now learnt how to use lemons from a different perspective.

Lemon slice:

Crust:
140g plain flour
50g sugar
1/4 tsp salt
115g melted butter
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Lemon filling:
1 lemon
200g sugar
45ml freshly squeezed lemon juice
3 large eggs
4 tsp corn starch
1/4 tsp salt
45g melted butter

Mix all the crust ingredients to produce a smooth paste and try to get it in a baking tin, as thinly as possible (I used my fingers lol). Bake for 25 minutes until golden brown.





Let's do the fun bit now.. As you can see, I have chopped up an entire lemon and placed it in a food processor *fingers crossed*


Pretty impressive, right?!! It actually did not splat everywhere and had a really smooth consistency to it.

Add the lemon juice and sugar and you get lemon puree:) Incorporate this mixture with the rest of the lemon filling ingredients and bake for about 25 minutes until it's set.

Baking time!

So I got impatient with handling it after I took it out from the oven. I should have let it cool down (and possible thicken up a bit) but I just had to cut into it. So it's a bit messy around the edges:(

A bit of icing sugar to make it look prettier and reduce the tartness of the lemon taste:) I refridgerated mine as I want it to last a bit longer. It still tastes pretty amazing tho.

Do try it out and let me know if it works for you:)

No comments: