Monday, January 13, 2014

Hong Kong travel diary day 2

Day 2 of our Hong Kong adventure begun with a trip to Tsim Sha Tsui via the hotel van that ferries hotel patrons from the hotel to either Mongkok or Tsim Sha Tsui. I stayed at Metropark Hotel if anyone wants to know. I was amazed at how busy the streets were in the morning despite having a fairly efficient MTR station. Funny thing is that most drivers drive in a not-so-safe manner and yet, I have not come across any accidents!



I love the interesting blend of western and eastern influences in the buildings. I am sure most of you would have heard of this saying somewhere! At Tsim Sha Tsui, we nibbled at Lee Keung Kee North Point Egg Waffles , Australian Dairy Co and was guilty of bringing home a box of Pierre Herme macarons.

We walked around the Clock Tower which was completed in 1915 as part of the Kowloon-Canton railway terminus. Pretty impressive structure considering the difficulties the government had to undergo to construct it!

A trip to Hong Kong is not complete without going to the Avenue of Stars during the day. Try spotting your favourite acter/actress's hand prints on the ground or maybe awe at Bruce Lee's statue.

The most famous monument along the Avenue of Stars must have been of McDull aka the popular children's cartoon character. This pig is known for appearing in educational commercials/ posters for kids.


At night, we managed to head to the Goldfish market which is pretty impressive if you like keeping aquatic pets. There are a huge range of aquariums to choose from and an even bigger range of fish to pick. I did not query about the prices but judging by the competitive surroundings, I am certain you can get a good buy if you try really hard.

I love wet markets, purely because it is a place I would frequent as a child. Vibrant displays of fresh fruit and vegetables to choose from and who knows, you may even find a fruit that you have never seen before!:)

Day 2 ended with a trip to a nearby Japanese ramen shop. My Hong Kong friend did tell me how obsessed he was with Japanese food there and I could not agree less. It is quite affordable (if I am using Adelaide's food prices as a benchmark) and they are soooo tasty and freshly prepared. Definitely worthy of a visit!!

No comments: