Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Petaluma's Bridgewater Mill

After enduring what seemed like months of freezing weather conditions, I am extremely grateful to be able to enjoy some much needed sunlight. Would not trade this moment for anything else in the world..well, except for world peace, I'm doing my bit for the world even as I dine!

Upon entry, we were immediately greeted by a moderately busy wine tasting counter and definitely did not try to resist the temptation to sample some for ourselves. Fortunately for us, we got to taste a few newly opened bottles of wine and despite trying not to squint my eyes, which I tend to do whenever I have a bit of alcohol bathing my throat, I squinted before confirming that the sampled wine was good. I'm not a wine connoisseur but I do recommend giving it a go, especially when you are waiting for your meal to arrive.

We sat at the patio and had a good view of the mill and the surrounding flora, a refreshing affair if I have to admit so myself. Choosing my entree, main and dessert wasn't a problem as I had done a bit of homework prior to arrival. Nevertheless, you can be assured that the waiting staff would not hassle you for an order and that you do have plenty of time to decide.


Housebread is a must have in my dictionary, regardless of whether it be served with butter or olive oil or vinegar.


Green pea falafel, compressed melon, asparagus, pickled onion and yoghurt dressing~ a good vegetarian option to get the ball rolling.

White rabbit loin wrapped in prosciutto, soya bean, smoked leg, parsnip and mustard seeds~ a good contrast to the vegetarian option, this dish is packed with meat-y scents and is well complimented with the usage of mustard seeds and parsnip to enhance and tone down the dish's robust spell.

Scallops baked in half shell, red curry, shaved squid, cucumber and shredded pork~ I liked this Asian inspired dish a lot. It reminded me of a certain hawker fare from back home, except that this is probably a much more refined version of it. I had to resist myself from eating too fast so that I can appreciate those individual flavours better. A recommended entree if you love spicy seafood dishes.


Crisp duck breast, green lip abalone, leek, cucumber and Adelaide hills honey. Another Asian inspired option but this time round, with the incorporation of spices.

Pan fried potato gnocchi, Taleggio, grapes, rainbow chard and hazelnut~ all my favourite ingredients in a plate! Crispy on the outside and soft on the inside gnocchi pieces, lightly caramelized grapes, blanched rhubarb fragments and sweet hazelnuts. I want more.

Cardamom spiced Coorong Angus beef fillet, potato, cavalo nero, shitake and pork jowl consomme~ no heavy sauces but rather, a much lighter method of adding taste to the medium rare steak pieces.

Green beans~ dining here makes me miss my hometown more than ever and I can't wait to get my feet back to Malaysia hopefully by next year!

Dessert time is anytime for me but it has to be every time I visit somewhere foreign, a sweet memory that would linger on whenever I browse through my photo albums.

Liquorice ice cream, caramel braised pineapple, coconut jelly and pineapple crisp~ I can still recall my first bite into liquorice during my initial year in Adelaide and I immediately swore to stay away from it. Funny how it seems that I have begun to appreciate it more these days. The ice cream was more liquorice-ish than ever and I really did enjoy the cubes of coconut jelly which went pretty well with the sweet and sour pineapple. I would love to know how the chef brew up this quirky formulation!:)

White chocolate mousse, blueberry, dark chocolate shard and chocolate anglaise. I'm glad this dessert is bigger than what I have expected because I loved every single scoop of it. The white chocolate mousse was not overly sweet and dark chocolate shards were not as bitter as I have expected. Overall, a really good dish.


Petite fours~ honeycomb pieces, marshmallow, chocolate brownie with nuts, pineapple panna cotta and a miniature caramel tart. A good way to taste everything without feeling excessive guilty! The fluffy, light marshmallow, sticky honeycomb pieces, tangy panna cotta were all lighter flavours to savour whilst the brownie and caramel tart were richer in terms of flavour and texture. A pretty and delicious dessert platter!!


Petaluma's Bridgewater Mill on Urbanspoon

No comments: